Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Terraria has died. I'm not mourning.

It's been awhile since I posted here, I noticed. ._.

I got into Terraria by accident, a friend letting me play it to try it out. I soon fell in love with it, for different reasons than I was playing Minecraft. I'll state this once more: Those of you who keep comparing Minecraft to Terraria, you are only doing so because they're both in the sandblocks genera. They are actually very enjoyable in their own right, and I'm sick of the war between the fans.

Anyway... Another good friend of mine bought the game for me, and I bought it for several other people.... Soon we were all playing. I even had a server going at one point. All the while, the game was advancing. New items and enemies were added in every update, and though those updates did not show up often, they were certainly appreciated. And, all the while, we had the "Upcoming Features" page on Terraria Wiki to look to when we asked ourselves "WHY ARE WE STILL PLAYING THIS???"

That's right. The maker of Terraria promised to add many amazing features to the game later on.. Alien worlds, evil planets and alternate dimensions. Villages of enemies who would build their own town to attack yours. All sorts of amazing things. Terraria promised to be its own thing a thousand times over, something that friends could play together for hours. And Terraria was very much about multiplayer.

When the Hardmode update hit, I was filled with the same excitement I'd had when I first started out playing Terraria. New enemies and new world mechanics were fun to explore and play around with. I spared my main village from the onslaught of the Hardmode Corruption by digging out a wood pillar to the Underworld. Surprisingly, wood blocks the Hallow and Corruption from spreading. Soon after, I was on a hunt for Demon Altars, smashing every one I could find to create precious rare metals, spending yet more hours of my time to discover them.

After this, I decided to amass an enormous base, something I'd never done before and wasn't sure how to start. The underground area opened up into the main cavern I explored, with a water elevator down to the Deep Corruption. I had Mythril Armour, and Legendary Excalibur! Life was good. Soon, I would have three of every armour set, on display, in my OCD organized base.

Then, the news hit. Terraria was done. It would no longer be receiving updates. The project was unceremoniously dropped, and entirely abandoned.

We were promised the universe. NOW WE ARE LEFT WITH NOTHING :V

I dunno I may still play. No, probably not. Since, I did stop playing once I heard that. The whole other dimensions and worlds thing was kinda what I was playing for.

No comments:

Post a Comment